8.06.2012

Surviving & Thriving: My Journey of Recovery

For those of you who know me personally, you would know that I'm a survivor of a sexual assault. On July 13, 2008, a man walking down my street raped me as I came home from a night out with friends. I escaped him and eventually sent him to prison for 40 years. I am very thankful to all the doctors, nurses, police officers and my prosecutor who helped me fight back as well as my friends and family who rallied around me. I am currently writing a book about my experience.

Since the 4th anniversary of this terrible event just passed, I've been wrestling with lingering feelings of anger and, to be exact, rage. Through the power of my will, I turned my rape into a thing that changed my life for the better. I went back to college, I found a job that makes me happy and, after much soul-searching, I returned to my art.

This weekend, I finally sat down to put my feelings on canvas. I created a series of five paintings I called the Rage series. Its abstract, angry and very much a relief. Here they are, photographed on the spot in my studio in terrible lighting. :)

Rage: Born In Blood
18"x18" - Acrylic on Canvas Panel

Rage: Cast Into Hell
12"x24" - Acrylic on Canvas

Rage: The Chaos You Gave Me
12"x24" - Acrylic on Canvas

Rage: Eaten From the Inside
16"x20" - Acrylic on Canvas

Rage: Scouring the Wounds
12"x24" - Acrylic on Canvas Panel

I will be showing this paintings at JoMar Visions' "Red Hot Like Summer" show on August 18th. The theme of the show is the color red, so these fit perfectly. If you are in the Houston area, please stop by and say, "hi."

Do you use your art to feel out trapped emotions and frustrations? What event have you captured in your art?

No comments:

Post a Comment